Thứ Năm, 2 tháng 6, 2016

NỐI HAI CÂU CÙNG CHỦ NGỮ

http://www.englishpractice.com/improve/joining-sentences-participles/

Joining sentences with participles

Combine each pair of sentences into one simple sentence by using participles.
1. He hurt his leg. He stopped walking.
2. He was unwilling to make another attempt. He decided to quit.
3. The Emperor was warned of the impeding disaster. He made good his escape.
4. He lost a large amount of money. He gave up gambling.
5. I received no reply. I sent another letter.
6. He wife encouraged him. He persevered.
7. He was tired. He sat down to rest.
8. The magician took pity on the mouse. He turned it into a cat.
9. The passenger alighted from the train. He tripped over a bag.
10. The hungry fox saw a bunch of grapes. It was hanging from a vine.
11. She was stricken with grief. She killed herself.
12. They were driven by the rain. They took shelter under a tree.
Answers
1. Having hurt his leg, he stopped walking.
2. Unwilling to make another attempt, he decided to quit.
3. Being warned of the impending disaster, the Emperor made good his escape.
4. Having lost a large amount of money, he gave up gambling.
5. Receiving no reply, I sent another letter.
6. His wife having encouraged him, he persevered. OR Encouraged by his wife, he persevered.
7. Being tired, he sat down to rest.
8. Taking pity on the mouse, the magician turned it into a cat.
9. Alighting from the train, the passenger tripped over a bag.
10. The hungry fox saw a bunch of grapes hanging from a vine.
11. Stricken with grief, she killed herself.
12. Driven by rain, they took shelter under a tree.

Read more at http://www.englishpractice.com/improve/joining-sentences-participles/#XmQ8iLK7HxfQw1RT.99
We can use participles to combine two sentences. Note that this technique is used when both clauses have the same subject.
Study the example given below.
  • She ran out of the room. She was screaming.
We can rewrite this sentence as:
  • She ran out of the room screaming.
Another example is given below:
  • I lost all my money. I went home.
  • Having lost all my money, I went home.

Exercise

Combine the following pairs of sentences using a participle.
1. He was rejected by his family. He decided to become a monk.
2. Who is that pretty girl? She is sitting in the corner.
3. Many people were invited to the party. Most of them didn’t turn up.
4. I didn’t know what to do. I called the police.
5. He was sitting at a table. The table was covered with papers.
6. Who is that girl? She is dancing with your brother.
7. She had lost much blood. She became unconscious.
8. I failed my engineering exams. I took up cheating.
Answers
1. Rejected by his family, he decided to become a monk.
2. Who is that pretty girl sitting in the corner?
3. Most of the people invited to the party, didn’t turn up.
4. Not knowing what to do, I called the police.(hành động trước chưa chấm dứt).
5. He was sitting at a table covered with papers.
6. Who is that girl dancing with your brother?
7. Having lost much blood, she became unconscious.
8. Having failed my engineering exams, I took up cheating.(hành động trước đã chấm dứt).

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét